“Even though the parties to the conflict all profess to me their desire for peace, their focus remains on military options…[which] will not lead to lasting solutions, ”he said.
Rules of war
Mr Grundberg expressed concern over the increased use of artillery, missiles and airstrikes – putting people, infrastructure and services at risk.
Referring to the summary execution of ten members of the local security forces, he recalled that wars should always be subject to rules of engagement.
“All actors in the conflict … have obligations under international humanitarian law”, including the protection of civilians and the humane treatment of prisoners of war.
Mr Grundberg said that during his first three months of work he engaged with Yemenis on “how to reverse the current escalating trajectory and initiate a political process”, and to establish “close relations and trustworthy ”with states in the region, advance peace talks.
“As the conflict escalates… I am convinced of the need for a comprehensive approach,” said the Special Envoy.
Building lasting peace
Stressing that piecemeal solutions can only provide temporary relief, the UN envoy stressed the need to address immediate needs and priorities towards “a comprehensive political settlement”.
“We must work for a just and lasting peace, not just the absence of war“Said Mr. Grundberg, which requires coordinated international and regional support, to build a” political process owned by Yemenis and supported by the international community “that will result in greater stability.
“The support of this Council will be essential,” said the UN envoy.
The process is expected to defuse violence, prevent further deterioration of the economy, and mitigate the impact of the conflict on civilians while reaching consensus on a political settlement to end the war sustainably, establish inclusive governance, and ensure human rights. civil, political, economic and cultural rights of Yemenis. .
A just ending
The UN official said the engagement has already started and will be stepped up.
While escalating the fighting was a challenge, he stressed that it should not be allowed to stop the process, saying that “in fact it makes the work we do all the more essential”.
“Belligerents can and must speak out, even if they are not ready to lay down their arms“Said Mr. Grundberg, calling for opening channels of communication” without preconditions and in priority “.
He called for the Council’s support to “establish an inclusive and comprehensive process to finally end this conflict in a just and lasting manner”.
Escalation of hostilities
Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator Ramesh Rajasingham said humanitarian conditions continue to deteriorate “due to conflict and economic collapse”.
He said that the intensification of the fighting and the displacement of the front lines forced civilians to flee, some for the second or even the third time.
In Marib, offenses by the Houthi forces, formerly known as Ansar Allah, have displaced more than 45,000 people since September and last Thursday missiles struck an internally displaced persons (IDP) camp .
In addition, intensifying fighting in southern Hudaydah and Taizz has displaced more than 25,000 people, leaving more civilian casualties, including five dead in an airstrike on December 3.
At the same time, hostilities continued along nearly 50 front lines across the country, with further bombing in Sana’a and violent clashes in Sa’ada resulting in civilian casualties and damaged infrastructure.
“All parties must respect their obligations under international humanitarian law … including the obligations to protect civilians and civilian infrastructure and to facilitate impartial humanitarian assistance,” Rajasingham stressed.
The UN official also expressed disappointment that two UN personnel Ansar Allah arrested last month in Sana’a remain in detention, despite assurances from management that they will be quickly released.
“To date, we have had no access to the detained personnel and have not received any official information regarding their arrest,” he said. “We are also deeply concerned about the arrest several weeks ago of a United Nations subcontractor in Marib.”
“We are calling for immediate access to staff and the sharing of official information regarding the arrests,” Rajasingham said.
The deputy chief of relief said the biggest challenge for Yemen’s aid operations was the “free fall” state of the economy, which is pushing millions of people to depend on humanitarian aid.
“Corn humanitarian aid is not the way to solve these problemsHe stressed, arguing instead for the UN economic framework to increase purchasing power, reduce the cost of imported goods and improve macroeconomic stability.
Requiring a combination of financial and political investments, political commitments and the lifting of restrictions on commercial imports, the framework would help lower commodity prices.
“The income from imports could then be used to pay civil servants’ salaries,” Rajasingham said. “As the economy improves, humanitarian needs will start to decline. Ultimately, the size of the aid operation could also start to decrease ”.
‘Not there yet’
He recalled that Yemen still needs a “massive humanitarian response” at least until next year, saying “we are not there yet”.
Calling on everyone to “do more to help Yemen end this crisis for good”, he called for the implementation of the UN economic framework alongside the humanitarian response while moving towards a solution policy as quickly as possible.
“Peace is the only lasting solution in Yemen, and to achieve peace, everyone must be ready to talk“, Concluded the UN official.